Is Peanut Butter Good for Dogs?
We’ve all seen the videos of dogs getting Peanut Butter stuck to the top of their mouth, and they are just so cute that we all want to try it with our pups. Then we share just how adorable our pups are eating peanut butter with family and friends, thus, the cycle starts again! But, is Peanut Butter safe for dogs?
While we love the cute videos of Peanut Butter and dogs, or as we like to call them “Peanut Butter Pups”, is it really safe for our dogs? Although the answer is YES, there are a few things you need to know first!
Is It Safe to Feed My Dog Peanut Butter?
While Peanut Butter can be a healthy treat, for your sweet pup, it is important to know a few things before you start handing out Peanut Butter left and right. In this article, we are going to point out the benefits of giving your dog Peanut Butter, as well as some common things to be cautious of regarding this nutty treat, and some different ways to provide this treat for your pup!
As always, when giving your pooch any new treat or food, give them small amounts first to see how their body handles it. Watch for changes in their behavior and digestive tract, and provide lots of water!
Why is Peanut Butter Good For Dogs? The Health Benefits of Peanut Butter
- Added Protein- Peanut Butter is a great way to add a little extra protein into your pups’ diet, but as we have all heard so many times, everything in moderation.
- Healthy Fats- Peanut Butter has added healthy fats which helps control hunger and promote a healthy metabolism.
- Vitamin B- Vitamin B has been said to help pus repel fleas and ticks, and while we don’t know if this has been scientifically proven, it definitely wouldn’t hurt to try!
- Vitamin E- Vitamin E is a fat-soluble nutrient that helps dogs’ muscles, circulatory system, and helps heal injuries.
Why Do Dogs Like Peanut Butter?
We can only guess on this one, but we would assume for the same reason that us humans do! It is a tasty snack, known for being both sweet and salty. It also goes with almost anything! We haven’t met a peanut butter combo that we haven’t liked yet, and we know that pups nationwide like this tasty treat on just about everything! One of our favorite combos is the Peanut Butter Filled Dog Bones! Yummy and healthy!
Watch Out For Peanut Butter with Xylitol
Xylitol has recently become a popular sugar substitute in the human world, but in the dog world, it is a BIG no, no. While Xylitol is known in the human world for being good for your teeth, in the dog world it is a dangerous substance that can cause seizures, liver failure, and in the worst cases death. So before you go and grab your favorite peanut butter to share with your pup, READ THAT LABEL!
Can Puppies Eat Peanut Butter?
Yes, puppies can have Peanut Butter, but since it is a new treat and a young pup give it them in very small amounts and watch their digestion to make sure that their body is handling it well.
What Treats and Chews Have Peanut Butter In Them?
Filled Bones, Horns & Hooves
These filled chews are hard on the outside and stuffed with peanut butter for dogs, making them very long lasting. With a variety of options, you can choose the size that is right for your dog.
- Peanut Butter Filled Knuckle Dog Bones
- Large Peanut Butter Filled Dog Bones
- Small Peanut Butter Filled Dog Bones
- Peanut Butter Filled Cow Hooves
- Small Peanut Butter Filled Bull Horns
Peanut Butter Biscuits
Dog biscuits are a great way to encourage good behavior in your pup. You can use these as a training treat or just to spoil the fur babies in your life.
- Peanut Butter Filled Dog Biscuits
- Redbarn Large Grain-Free Peanut Butter Dipped Biscuits
- Redbarn Small Grain-Free Peanut Butter Dipped Biscuits
Crunchy Peanut Butter Chews
These crunchy chews are more substantial than a treat, but not as long lasting as something like a bully stick. We recommend these crunchy dog chews for passive or moderate chewers and dogs that love a good crunch.
- Redbarn Peanut Butter Chew-A-Bulls Ring
- Redbarn Large Peanut Butter Chew-A-Bulls
- Redbarn Peanut Butter Mini Chew-A-Bulls Pretzel
- Redbarn Peanut Butter Mini Chew-A-Bulls Braid
Peanut Butter Filled/Flavored Rawhides
These filled and flavored rawhides come in a variety of different forms, from chopped rawhide to strips, and rolls.
- Peanut Butter Filled Rolled Rawhide
- Redbarn Peanut Butter Flavored Bully Slices
- Redbarn Peanut Butter Filled Munchie Retrievers
- Redbarn Barn Bagels
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Filled Rawhide Bones
Looking for some DIY Peanut Butter Treats? We have pulled our favorite recipes for you and your pup to try right at home!
- Homemade Peanut Butter Dog Treats
- Pumpkin & Peanut Butter Homemade Treats
- Dog Treat Recipes for Peanut Butter Lovers
How To Feed Peanut Butter To Your Dog
Peanut Butter can be fed to your pup in a multitude of ways. You can let them lick it off your finger or off a spoon and watch the licking commence!
You can use it to mask some not so tasty medicine that your pup needs, or add it to their favorite chew to add a blast of flavor.
We personally prefer it in the middle of a tasty bone! Feel free to add it to a bone yourself, or buy a dog bone that is already filled with the tasty treat!
As a reminder, we recommend everything in moderation and think that Peanut Butter is the perfect once in awhile treat, or pick me up for your sweet pup! Now, back to those “Peanut Butter Pups” videos!
Video Courtesy of Buzzfeed.com