Are you looking to do something special for your pet or maybe even a fellow dog lover? You should consider baking your own homemade dog treats.
Anyone can make dog treats and all you need are 4 easy ingredients! With so many recipes to choose from, it can be hard to decide which treat to make. My favorite dog treat recipe is an oldie but goodie. What’s nice about this treat recipe is that you can add additional ingredients to the base recipe to personalize it for your pooch!
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup natural-style peanut butter (smooth or creamy)
- 1 cup skim milk
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees
- First, mix the dry ingredients together
- Next, mix the wet ingredients
- Combine them to the dry and mix well
- Roll out the dough with a rolling pin onto a floured surface
- Cut the dough into shapes and place them onto a greased baking sheet
- Bake for 16-18 minutes and let the tasty homemade dog treats cool on a rack
- Be sure to store these goodies in an airtight container. They generally last about a week because they are made out of basic, simple ingredients. Keeping them in the refrigerator will help them to stay fresher a bit longer.
Making dog treats can be fun and even rewarding. When you give your pup their homemade peanut butter dog biscuit, you will instantly see how much they like it! Inexperienced bakers need not be weary of this recipe. The dough is very easy to work with and the taste testers can only bark! This dough rolls out nicely and works very well with cookie cutters (if you have them). If you do not have cutters, simply roll the dough into a ball and then flatten them down a bit to make a patty type shape. Be sure not to make them too thick. Have fun while making these goodies! Dogs don’t care what shape they are and they will never complain! As mentioned earlier, you can add some extra goodies to this recipe to “spice” things up a bit. A handful of shredded cheese, some parsley for stinky dog breath, or a bit of chopped bacon can warrant rave reviews from your pup!